- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tsp. chili powder, divided
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz. ) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- freshly ground black pepper
Makes 4 (1 1/2 cup) Servings
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef, 1 teaspoon of the chili powder, and cumin; sauté until browned, about 5 minutes. using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a plate.
- Add onion, garlic, and remaining chili powder to the same saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice and beans; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover, add cooked beef, and cook an additional 5 minutes, until liquid thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.
WW POINTS VALUE: 7 pts.
Note: This recipe appears in the South Beach Diet Quick & Easy Cookbook. Who does not love a good bowl of chili? You can enjoy a hearty bowl of homemade chili at home and it will quickly fill you up. This dish is packed with protein with the meat and vegetables and the great flavor combination of garlic, chili powder and cumin. You can top this chili with thinly sliced scallions, a drop of fat-free sour cream or a handful of shredded fat-free cheddar cheese and you'll be in heaven! Even though the serving size is 1 1/2 cups, you won't eat that much chili because it will quickly fill you up. I also highly recommend serving the Savory Cheddar Cheese Biscuits with this chili because you'll need the biscuits to literally clean your bowl.