- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo, plus 1 tsp sauce from can
- 3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 4 reduced-fat beef hot dogs
- 4 whole wheat or whole-grain hot dog buns, lightly toasted (optional)
Makes 4 Servings
- In a mediumsaucepan, heat oil over meduim heat. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add beef, increase heat to high, and cook, breaking up meat with a spoon and stirring until all pink is gone, 2-3 minutes more. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in tomato paste, chile, and adobo sauce. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook unti lmeat is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- While chili is cooking, lightly coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray and heat to medium-high. Grill hot dogs, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and heated through, 5-7 minutes. Serve hot dogs on buns, if using, topped with chili.
WW POINTS VALUE: 7 pts with bun & 5 pts without bun
Note: This recipe appears in the South Beach Diet Taste of Summer Cookbook. Who doesn't love a hot dog once in a while? Hot dogs get a bad name because of what kind of ingredients are in them and sometimes they don't taste good at all. However, when hot dogs are cooked right and are topped with a flavorful topping, they can be delicious. I wasn't terribly hungry and I had a craving fora hot dog. The weather was really nice to day and I wanted to cook something filling and delicious. This chili dogs totally hit the spot. Chili dogs have a reputation of giving you heatburn or some other weird feeling in your stomach; these won't. They are very sophisticated and leave you satisfied. if you don't have any beef broth, don't worry. I used dry red wine in place of the beef broth and it gave the chili a more sophisticated taste. I highly recommend serving these chili dogs at your next gathering because they are so delicious and people will be asking for seconds.