- 1 large seedless orange
- 1/2 (3-pound) green cabbage, shredded (6 cups)
- 2 medium jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Makes 4 (generous 1-cup) Servings
- Finely grate zest from half of the orange over a medium bowl; set aside. Peel orange. Holding orange over a small bowl to catch juice, carefully cut along the membrane on both sides of each orange segment. Allow the freed segments to fall into the bowl.
- Squeeze the remaining membrane over the bowl containing zest to extract and additional juice. Pour any juice from orange segments into the bowl with zest. Roughly chop orange segments and add them to the bowl with zest and juice.
- Add cabbage, jalapenos, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper to the bowl with the orange; toss well. Serve at room temperature.
WW POINTS VALUE: 1pt
Note: This recipe appears in the South Beach Diet Taste of Summer Cookbook. I have really become to enjoy salads and slaws. I used tangerines in place of the orange and used lemon and lime juice for a more citrusy flavor and the slaw was yummy. I should warn you if you can't handle the heat, don't eat this slaw because it's packin' with heat!