- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Spanish onions, slivered
- 1 small leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 sliced semolina bread, toasted
- 4 tsp grated Parmesean Cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss Cheese
Makes 2 Servings
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Saute the onions and leek until the onions are golden, about 15 minutes. Add the stock, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Set 2 flameproof bowls on a baking sheet. Ladle the soup into the bowls; top with the bread. Sprinkle with the Parmesean, then with the Swiss cheese. Broil until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
WW POINTS VALUE: 5 pts.
Note: This recipe appears in the WW New Complete Cookbook. Soup is the best comfort food when the weather is cold. French onion soup is so deliciously comforting and a classic French bistro dish. Even though the recipe calls for 2 Spanich onions, you only need 1 Spanish onion because you'll be pretty full with the bread, cheese, onion and leek.