- 4 pints fresh blueberries or 4 (12 oz) bags frozen blueberries (not thawed)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp granular sugar substitute
- 2 cups whole grain pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup + tbsp trans-fat-free margarine, chilled
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp skim milk
Makes 12 Servings
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Toss blueberries with 1/4 cup of the sugar substitute in a large bowl. Place mixture in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Combine flour wih the remaining 2 tbsp sugar substitute, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add margarine and, using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in 3/4 cup of the milk to make it a slightly sticky, soft dough.
- Drop the dought by large spoonfuls over the fruit, covering as much of the fruit as you can. Brush dough with remaining 2 tbsp of milk. Bake until topping is golden and berries are hot and bubbling, 35-40 minutes. Serve warm.
WW POINTS VALUE: 4 Pts
Note: This recipe appears in the South Beach Diet Parties and Holidays Cookbook. It was such a beautiful day and I wanted to cook a nice dessert and blueberries are in season so this looked to good. I know I say that sentence a lot but if you ever saw the photos for some of these recipes, you would want to to cook them too. Plus, I've come to enjoy the taste of cooked fruit and cooked fruit for dessert is heavenly. This dessert is absolutely delicious at an outdoor party, a warm summer day or even a cool sumer night. You can use any kind os berry for ths dessert or youcan mix and match berries as well. I also added a little nutmeg to the dish for a little more flavor.